WWW.SKULLFORGESCENICS.ETSY.COM

Sunday, October 27, 2024

My First Tomb Kings Regiment is Finished!

It's been a long road, but I finally put the finishing touches on my 30-man skeleton regiment:

 

 

After getting the individual skeletons painted, all that remained was the regiment's movement tray and banner. For this army, I'm going with metal sheets and magnets so none of the trays will have any edges. 


 

The magnets I use under the bases are from K&J Magnetics. They are 1/8" x 3/32" product number D203, and they are a perfect fit under the standard GW base without any drilling necessary. I just scratch up the top of the magnet and attach it with regular (cyanoacrylate) super glue.

 

 

When it comes to horde armies, magnetized units really save time when setting up and putting away the army rather than putting each individual model in a foam tray. I think that when I eventually expand the army, one of the first things I'll do is add another five skeletons to fill out the back rank. 

 

 

Here's the finished unit, ready to march to war:

 

 

For the banner, I settled on a stylized skull icon. The eyes were inspired by the Eye of Horus, abstracted a little to form the maxilla and zygomatic arch/ cheekbones. My initial thought was to paint it with gold paint on the red banner, but settled for using a more non-metallic metal technique to make it look like gold-colored fabric rather than actual metal. I'm pretty satisfied with how it turned out.

 

 

The command models are some of my favorites:

 




 

I still have to paint 30 archers and five horse archers to finish my first 1000 points. So these skeletons will have to wait patiently for their comrades to arrive. They waited 20 years already, so what's another couple months?


'Til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. Any comments containing links will not be approved and will be marked as spam.