Monday, July 25, 2016
Friday, July 15, 2016
DreadFleet: Tools of the Trade
My attention over the past few weeks has been on a large terrain commission, so I haven't been able to blog as frequently. I'll be able to post pictures of it in the coming months, but now that it is out of the way, I can get back to painting and sculpting. Yesterday I knocked out the measuring tools for my Dreadfleet set.
The ship's wheels, used for making 45 degree turns:
The wind gauge, which moves around the perimeter of the seascape to indicate wind direction:
The flip side of the wind gauge is the vortex marker, use to mark the center of the maelstrom in one scenario. I was concerned about having a part lay "painted side down" on the board, but the seascape mat is a soft material, so it probably won't be too rough on the counter.
Finally, there's the navigation rod, which functions as a measuring ruler, and can be bent up to 45 degrees to check facings when firing broadsides.
Next I have the three sea monsters to paint. The Bone Hydra and Sea Giant needed their bases extended a little because they were so top-heavy. (Once the head with the sail was attached, the hydra would tip over at the slightest touch.) I glued the models on some plastic card and sculpted matching waves with some brown stuff modeling putty.
Once they are painted I'll be able to play a game with fully painted components, ready for whatever game effects the fate cards deal– well, except for the little auxiliary ships, but I have something special planned for them.
'Til next time!
Friday, July 1, 2016
Dreadfleet: The Seadrake
I'm right in the middle of a large terrain commission, so I haven't been able to keep up with the blog or the Dreadfleet project. (I expect to have some pictures of the finished table in the coming months). I have been slowly picking away at my Dreadfleet queue, some water here, a sail there... The Leviathan Island (or as I like to call it, the remains of Morla) is finished at last.
The giant turtle island is the last bit of the Galleon's Graveyard terrain for the game. I also finally crested the halfway mark on the ships, by completing the Seadrake. Only four to go!
I've got a couple of progress shots– The ship's hull was sprayed with a bone color, and the dragons were painted first. The highlights on were achieved by mixing a little flesh tone into the red.
Then I finished off the hull details and masts. This was the most painstaking one yet, because I had to carefully paint all the gold trim and details without messing up the white hull. The masts were glued in place before attaching the sails, which were painted separately on the sprue. I kind of like this image because it almost looks like the ship could be at port with its sails down.
Here's the finished Seadrake in all its glory, including a shot of it's back side, which you never see in the books. This is the only whip with a dedicated photogenic side; I had the row of finished ships facing to the left on my shelf but I had to turn them so the Seadrake's "good side" would be visible.
Now that I've got three ships for each side, I'll have to get in a proper game and see how it plays.
'Til next time!
Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)