Kicking off the new year with a little scenic piece that I made using the leftover parts from the Vengorian Lord:
After finishing the conversion of the Vengorian Lord without the vampire-centaur top, I was left with half a figure's worth of parts, so I decided to turn them into a statue.
I used the components for the lord, following the premise that this statue could be a representation of Mordrak before he made the transformation into his monstrous form.
I also used one of the wall posts from the Skull Forge Scenicsgraveyard walls set, and pieces of 1mm styrene card, and 1.5mm styrene card.
To turn the vampire torso into a sort of "bust" statue, I filled the cavity with Aves Apoxie Sculpt and inserted a wooden dowel that I had tapered in the middle. I smoothed the putty around the dowel to form a stone pedestal, and set it aside to cure.
I cut up the 1.5mm styrene card into small flagstones, and distressed the edges to create a variety of sizes.
I used a sharp sculpting tool to scratch some cracks into the model, and cut some chips with my knife. I carved up the putty to crate an unfinished, stony texture. Then, I made a base and cut the dowel.
The base and pillar were pinned together with a paperclip.
The pin was then inserted into a hole drilled on top of the post. I also smoothed over and filled in some imperfections with green stuff putty.
I attached the flagstones I had cut earlier onto the base with super glue, and added some fine ballast to fill in the gaps between them.
I also used some of the spare stones to make another objective with a tombstone that I cut from the back of a Cursed City zombie.
Once the stones were in place, I trimmed the edges and scraped the sides to create a seamless transition between the top and bottom layers of styrene. Where the bottom layer remained exposed, I beveled the edge as thin as I could.
Those beveled spaces were filled with ballast, and the statue's base was glued on top of it all.
I used pieces of a Woodland Scenics tree armature to create some creepy branches growing around the base.
Then it was just a matter of painting it and adding some grass tufts. Since it was mostly just stone, I was able to knock out the painting in an afternoon.
The extra tombstone will go with the other three I had made for Cursed City, and I'll use these as my gravesite markers. They're characterful, and small enough not get in the way during the game.