WWW.SKULLFORGESCENICS.ETSY.COM

Friday, May 10, 2024

"A New Power is Rising!"

The Lord of the Rings films depicted the most epic fantasy battles that have ever (and will ever) appear on screen. I wanted to capture a fraction of that with my Uruk-hai army– The White Hand of Saruman.


 

The Two Towers range offered a much wider variety of Uruk-hai armed with pikes, crossbows, and bombs, and it added leaders and banner bearers into the mix. 

 


 

The leader, of course, is Saruman the White, and I went with the model from the Escape from Orthanc metal box set. He had a nice pose, and came with the Palantir. I painted the Palantir's base to look like a marble slab.

 


 

Most of my Uruk-hai are from the Two Towers starter box. These pikemen had a special rule that allowed them to fight through models in front of them. They also have some of the flimsiest weapons ever designed. I think I find a new pike snapped in half every time I look in their foam tray. I had made repairs on the broken ones years ago, but as I was setting up these photos, I found another one broken, despite being in the same tray, unmoved since the last time I touched them.

 

 

I had gotten painting the Uruk-hai down to a science: Prime black, drybrush the metal, wash with brown ink, then pick out the skin, hair, leather clothes and straps, and weapon shafts. I used an assembly line process to paint them in batches.

 

 

I didn't do a lot of customization other than adding a skull to the top of each banner.

 



 

At first, I thought the model on the far right was Lurtz, but it's just a generic leader form the command pack.

 

 

To paint the hand prints on the models, I painted the hand with Screaming Skull (called Bleached Bone at the time), and then added some highlights with white.

 

 

I think the metal crossbowmen are some of my favorite models in the army. I like the variety of poses, and the reloading figures.

 


 

I added a Mordor Siege Bow from the Siege of Gondor range. I don't know where the actual crew are; that's a standard orc, and another leader. The leader is Gorbag from the Gorbag and Shagrat blister pack. The original model was holding Frodo's mithril shirt, but I swapped it for a shield so I could use him as an Uruk-hai captain.

 


 

Last up are the Berserkers. The ones with the torches are from the plastic Uruk-hai Siege Troops box. They came with bombs and ladders for breaching castle walls.

 


 

The others are from the metal blister pack. 

 

 

I added more white hand prints all over them, and blood running down from their helmets.

 

 

I had dreams of covering my floor with thousands of Uruk-hai, but this was about as far as I got. It's still a respectable force, and and army that I'm really proud of!

 

"To war!"


 

'Til next time!

2 comments:

  1. A lovely collection! I could hear the score as soon as I read the title! I do have quite a few converted Captains, they do lend themselves to it. But I don't think I have one based on Shagrat as of yet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Shagrat was a weird model, because he represents one particular moment in the story, so it didn't seem right to have an orc just carrying around a mithril shirt for no reason, hence the change. Plus, I just looked in the RotK rulebook, and Shagrat had the option to be equipped with a shield, so maybe I intended to use him as Shagrat with a shield? (It's been a while.)

      Delete

All comments are moderated. Any comments containing links will not be approved and will be marked as spam.