WWW.SKULLFORGESCENICS.ETSY.COM

Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Project Log: The Tombs of Tithing, Part 13

I haven't had much time to work on personal projects lately, but I took a moment to finish off the small tomb. Here's a look:

 

 

 

To apply all the vegetation, I begin with a layer of flock to match my battlefield surface. In this case, it's Woodland Scenics "Green Blend" blended turf. I apply a layer of wood glue and sprinkle the turf over top.

 

 

I try to get a good covering, but still leave patches of dirt showing, including a worn path up to the tombstones.

 

 

Once the glue has dried, I shake off the excess, and carefully vacuum the surface to get any stray bits out of the nooks and crannies.

 

 

Next, I use a lighter blend of static grass (I don't have a brand for this material; it's the same green grass that GW used to sell in the early 2000s.) To apply it, I use the same technique as for the turf– paint patches of glue and then sprinkle the grass over it. I make sure to put the grass in smaller patches within the green turf so the turf shows around the edges.

 

 

Then, I go to town with the grass tufts. I made these from scratch (you can see how in my grass tufts tutorial). In the tutorial, I was using the Woodland Scenics fine tall grass, but have since switched to using 7mm static grass in my shaker. I blend some of the colors to create medium green, lighter green, and dead "straw" grass. I also incorporated a few Army Painter "Mountain Tufts" store-bought tufts (Those are the more honey-colored grass tufts.)

 




 

The last step is to affix some Silflor "Summer Maple Foliage" to create creeping vines on the walls. This particular foliage was a little brighter than I expected, so I darkened it with some GW Coelia Greenshade. I try to use the foliage sparingly, mainly to cover up sculpted flowers on the Sigmarite Mausoleum kit, or other imperfections in my construction.

 



 

Here's a look at the finished small tomb. The larger one is still a while off.

 





 

'Til next time!

7 comments:

  1. Amazing!

    The flock and tufts and such really pull it all together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really like the way it came out. Now I'm going to need to go back and add tufts to my older scenery to bring them up to standard.

      Delete
  2. Great addition to your terrain collection! I'm loving everything about it, from the concept to the final execution. The color palette is perfect and things like variety in grass tufts and rust streaks make it look very realistic and abandoned. Your Undead will feel at home. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't wait until I have the larger one finished too.

      Delete

All comments are moderated. Any comments containing links will not be approved and will be marked as spam.