NEW 60mm Industrial Bases added to shop! 2/1/21

Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Project Log: The Tombs of Tithing, Part 13

I haven't had much time to work on personal projects lately, but I took a moment to finish off the small tomb. Here's a look:




To apply all the vegetation, I begin with a layer of flock to match my battlefield surface. In this case, it's Woodland Scenics "Green Blend" blended turf. I apply a layer of wood glue and sprinkle the turf over top.



I try to get a good covering, but still leave patches of dirt showing, including a worn path up to the tombstones.



Once the glue has dried, I shake off the excess, and carefully vacuum the surface to get any stray bits out of the nooks and crannies.



Next, I use a lighter blend of static grass (I don't have a brand for this material; it's the same green grass that GW used to sell in the early 2000s.) To apply it, I use the same technique as for the turf– paint patches of glue and then sprinkle the grass over it. I make sure to put the grass in smaller patches within the green turf so the turf shows around the edges.



Then, I go to town with the grass tufts. I made these from scratch (you can see how in my grass tufts tutorial). In the tutorial, I was using the Woodland Scenics fine tall grass, but have since switched to using 7mm static grass in my shaker. I blend some of the colors to create medium green, lighter green, and dead "straw" grass. I also incorporated a few Army Painter "Mountain Tufts" store-bought tufts (Those are the more honey-colored grass tufts.)



The last step is to affix some Silflor "Summer Maple Foliage" to create creeping vines on the walls. This particular foliage was a little brighter than I expected, so I darkened it with some GW Coelia Greenshade. I try to use the foliage sparingly, mainly to cover up sculpted flowers on the Sigmarite Mausoleum kit, or other imperfections in my construction.



Here's a look at the finished small tomb. The larger one is still a while off.



'Til next time!


  1. Amazing!

    The flock and tufts and such really pull it all together.

    1. Thanks! I really like the way it came out. Now I'm going to need to go back and add tufts to my older scenery to bring them up to standard.