WWW.SKULLFORGESCENICS.ETSY.COM

Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Terrain Showcase: House and Statue Garden

These two little terrain projects are finished– Here's a look at the statue garden, and the house I made from the left over top of the Warscryer Citadel.



The statue garden painted up pretty quickly, I think that I might have spent more time adding all the vegetation and attaching the components.









 

When I built the Warscryer Citadel and watchtower, I was left with the small house from the top of the tower. It has three large open windows on each side and I didn't want to worry about seeing the unfinished interior, so I put bars in the windows that would match the style of the large bay window on the citadel.

 

 

I cut up a section of the Sigmarite Mausoleum fence, and pieced it together to construct the bars.

 


 

Once the building was assembled, the bars on the windows sufficiently obscured the view inside. Next, I cut off the lower portion of the chimney and added it to the top...

 

 

...and built it even taller using Aves Apoxie Sculpt.

 


 

The house sat in this state for a few months while I decided what to do with it. It needed a foundation and a porch with steps, so I used some of my Skull Forge Scenics graveyard walls to build a stone foundation.

 

 

The walls were cut up to form the stonework, and the house was glued on top.

 


 

The whole thing was mounted on a piece of styrene card, and I filled in the gaps with Aves putty.

 

 

The porch and steps were made out of stacks of foam core board.

 

 

Over this, I sculpted the stonework. I pressed in the rough shapes of the stones and added some texture.

 

 

Once the putty had cured, I carved the stones with my hobby knife to get sharp, chiseled corners.

 


 

I used the bottom portion of the Sigmarite Mausoleum fences to create a railing, and finished off the base by trimming the styrene card and adding some sand.

 







 

I really wanted to maintain the size of this little house. The stonework and steps add just enough detail to make it unique and interesting, while keeping it small and tight. I'm so happy with it.

 






 

Not sure what I'll write on the parchment over the door. I might assign this house to one of my necromancers, or maybe I'll just write "sexton" which would make it the office of the cemetery caretaker.

 

 

'Til next time!

14 comments:

  1. The statue garden is excellent, a great addition to your Morr terrain. I wish GW would release lovely little houses like this, its absolutely charming and creepy in all the best ways, and you'd never guess you cobbled it together and scratchbuilt pieces. If that was a kit I'd buy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was just talking with a friend the other day about how GW never really made any "normal houses" for Warhammer. Chapel, Manor House, all kinds of towers, but no dwellings for the regular-slob townsfolk. :D Even Orc/Orruk huts would be something that could be very characterful and "on-brand."

      Delete
  2. That's the cutest gothic gravekeeper's cottage I've ever seen. Amazing work, as ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This little house is my new favorite piece in my collection (at least until the next thing I build). ;)

      Delete
  3. Lovely work! A great conversion to the pieces and fantastic paint job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work! That little house is sufficiently cute and creepy to fit in with most other Warhammer structures. Great stone work too!

    The old Warhammer townscape was full of "normal" buildings, but someone decided that all plastic buildings needed to be "fantasy at 12" and we never got anything normal. Even the walls set was way more unusual than normal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I just looked through all the available AoS terrain on the GW site, and there's not a single piece that you could call a "structural dwelling." Just steps and columns, random wall ruins, and the little unique army pieces. And trees. The Sigmarite Mausoleum is the only thing that comes close to being a piece of "complete" stand-alone terrain.

      Delete
    2. I sometimes miss the aesthetic of the old world of Warhammer. I first got into it in 5th edition (Bretonnians, I think) and the rulebook had some brilliant scratch built terrain. It really fit the setting of a town or outpost getting raided and the defenders sallying out to protect them.

      Delete
    3. I commented about the lack of current terrain back when the 2016 AoS General's Handbook debuted– The WFB 8th Edition rulebook was the pinnacle of scenic battlefields, and after that they just *stopped* making bespoke terrain for the longest time; it was just the generic AoS kits, with nothing special, and there was no indication of where people *lived* in the AoS Mortal Realms.

      They've gotten back into making unique terrain to some extent– There have been some great Nighthaunt & Bonereaper scratch-built boards, and more inventive uses of the existing kits. They've made some really nice (and brilliantly engineered) scenery kits, but the AoS collection is still missing "buildings."

      Delete
  5. This looks great! What did you use for the vegetation around the statue garden? Those creeping vines/leafy stuff really looks cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The vines are Silflor foliage from Scenic Express. They're little "pads" of the vines that can be cut up and glued to the surface. I used them to cover all of the sculpted rose bushes on the walls and fencing.

      Delete

All comments are moderated. Any comments containing links will not be approved and will be marked as spam.