My personal hobby time has been limited, so I've been chipping away at a few smaller projects. This week, I finished off my Skaven Warpfire Thrower teams, and a pair of Stormtroopers for Star Wars: Legion.
Even though the Warpfire Thrower is an iconic staple of the Skaven army, I never found them very useful in previous editions of the game. The range was too short, and they were prone to exploding, so I only had one Warpfire Thrower in my collection of Clan Skryre weapon teams. The rules in the Skaventide battletome give them a little more punch, so I decided to expand my arsenal. I had a spare Warpfire Thrower that a friend had given me, which I finally got around to repainting:
I always thought the plastic Warpfire Throwers from the now out-of-print Island of Blood set wer a little small, so I never used them for what they were. Instead, I cannibalized them for other model conversions. In order to build my third warpfire team, I needed to get creative. I used the fuel carrier from the plastic Warpfire Thrower, and the metal gunner from a Rattling Gun team. After I clipped away the Rattling Gun, I rebuilt the weapon from scratch. The extoller bell from a Grimghast Reaper was used for the barrel, along with some styrene tubes and a lot of modeling putty.
The arms were pieced together with pieces from my parts box, along with some plastic chain for the handle. The stock was sculpted from modeling putty. Here's the completed Warpfire Thrower alongside its counterpart:
After finishing off all three weapon teams with flames made from witch elf hair, the Warpfire Throwers were ready to join the ranks of my Clan Skryer army!
At the other end of the galaxy, I had a pair of Star Wars: Legion Stormtroopers kicking around. They made a quick little painting project that I knocked out over a couple of days.
My process for painting the white armor was to prime them white, and then paint a controlled wash of Vallejo Ghost Grey into the recesses. Next, I carefully lined all the recesses and trim with P3 Underbelly Blue and then touched up the panels with more Ghost Grey and white. I lined the separations between the different armor panels with GW Fang Grey. Then, I painted in the black of the exposed body glove under the armor, and highlighted a few spots like the elbows and fingers with Fang Grey. The final step was to paint the black and grey details of the helmet, and touch up any mistakes with white.
The bases were painted with grey and earth tones with some chipped metal, and the troopers were ready for action!