Check out New Products: TOWN WELL, BLIGHTED WELL, & Industrial Bases
Monday, June 25, 2012
Modeling: The Garden of Morr
This weekend, I sat down and assembled the Garden of Morr. The kit is pretty simple, containing a lot of single-piece components, but I did make a few modifications, mostly with the basing.
The first step was to build the mausoleums. In my opinion, the gargoyles included in the set didn't really add anything, so I left them off. They'll probably find their way into a future terrain project. There was some minor putty work on the tower to cover the join between the two halves of the top. I also added a small bell from the old Skaven command sprue.
The mausoleum bases have a squared edge, and some wildly inconsistent ground texture.
To remedy this, I beveled the edges with my hobby knife, and roughed up the stones a bit.
The largest base had some of its detail running right to the edge, making it difficult to bevel the ground. I added a layer of styrene card underneath, to extend the sandy areas.
The ballast was super glued to the base, taking care not to obscure the embedded skulls and bones.
Here are the finished bases. The mausoleums are kept separate for painting, but will be glued on at the final stage. The large base will be left separate, so it and its mausoleum can be placed together, or as two separate elements.
The uncovered crypt presented an opportunity for some articulation. By adding a brass pin, the coffin lid can be rotated to an opened or closed position without it being a loose part that would inevitably slide off onto the table.
Surprisingly, the wrought iron fences didn't require much mold line cleaning. The main issue was with the marks left by the ejector pins. This was easily fixed by scraping the surface with a rounded scalpel blade.
The walls received the same treatment as the other bases– sanding all the ground areas. I had given away the cross over the main gate, so the missing block needed to be filled in with putty and topped with a spike from one of the Chaos sprues.
To articulate the gate itself, I drilled through the hinges, and set them over "L" shaped pins in the wall. The original recesses for the hinges were filled with modeling putty.
The Garden or Morr (or as I like to call it– The Undead Barracks) is ready for priming. Watch for the painting tutorial to follow!