This week, I finished up the dreadnought conversion:
With the arm boxes constructed, I dug through my parts box to find bits that I could use to add tech to the back of the arms. Spare parts from a plastic dreadnought and some Land Raider weapons did the trick.
As with the shoulder armor, I etched in some panel lines, and added a few raised bits with thin styrene. I cut off a portion of the plastic dreadnought power arm, and attached it to the back of the new arm.
Inside the arm, I built up some walls so it didn't look like a hollow shell.
Portions were also filled with putty and sanded smooth.
Here's the arm fitted over the shoulder cuff:
The arm cover was made from a thick piece of card. The emblem was taken from the chest of an old space marine and pressed flat to the panel. To get the panel to sit at the proper depth, I needed to shave off a little of the arm itself.
One final touch was adding some cables inside the front of the arm.
Standard dreadnought weapon arms are usually a boxy gun mount, but the Primaris dreadnought's left and right arm are identical, so I built this one the same way, but added different tech and the optic piece from the plastic dreadnought's waist.
Here's the whole torso, all "boxed" up:
I still need to assemble the feet and the gun on the power arm, but I think I'm going to paint it mostly in parts. That will allow me to spray all the armor parts yellow and the chassis black and metal.
I picked up more Tamiya Camel Yellow, and the weather is starting to warm up a bit, so I'll be able to get back to spraying models outside. I also got a can of Tamiya Flat Clear spray, so I'll be able to try that out as a replacement for Testors Dull Cote (although, they guy at the hobby shop said that Testors Dull Cote isn't discontinued, and that they can still order it, so we'll see how things shake out.