Check out New Products: TOWN WELL, BLIGHTED WELL, & Industrial Bases
Saturday, November 7, 2015
"IT IS DONE."
A few weeks ago I teased these books on Facebook. My plan for Nagash was to have the nine books breaking open, swirling around him in a tornado of hellfire. I glued each of the book halves in an open position and sculpted pages using Brown Stuff epoxy modeling putty. The single pages in the middle were cut from thin styrene card.
The books were then modeled into the flame trails that I had sculpted over the original spirits. Extra licks of flame were sculpted around each book and on the pages. Fine chain, coated with thin super glue to make it rigid, was used to build up the breaking chains, and thin wire was used for the breaking ties around the books.
Everything was primed black and the flames were sprayed white so the bright color of the fire could be easily achieved.
Here you can see how I had the model broken down for painting. I even made the right hand removable, pinned in place so I could swap between the spirit and the flaming book. I have a spare set of robes and spirits, and I plan to make a second base with a Tomb Kings motif because I am insane. The second base will use the unmodified spirit trails, and I'll swap out the hand so the model will feature either all flames (for the Legion of the Infernal Skull version) or all spirits (for the Tomb Kings version). The body will remain the same between the two and will not be glued into the robes so it can be swapped back and forth.
This thing took forever to paint. But here he is, finished, with all his body parts glued together:
Initially, I wasn't sure how to handle the transition from the fire to the robes. I decided to paint the holes in the cloth as though they were burned away. I'm really pleased with how it turned out.
The hand has a double pin to keep it from spinning. I completely forgot about the spines on the back when modeling the flaming pages. Fortunately, the book just barely clears the spine on the right. That could have been a disaster.
The torso clips into the robes, and the centerpiece of his belt is magnetized.
The base was detailed with unearthed coffins and tombstones. I built the coffins around the skeletons in the flame trails so it would appear as if they were being pulled out of their graves.
And here's the final model in all its glory:
Now to tear apart my hard work and put him on a round base...