WWW.SKULLFORGESCENICS.ETSY.COM

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Cityfight Terrain

It's been a while since I've posted any terrain, so I figured I'd take the opportunity to shine the spotlight on a building that has appeared in the background so many times:



This piece was made from the old GW 40K injection-foam building that was released for Codex: Cityfight. The entire piece is mounted on a hardboard base with two of the buildings combined to create a two-story structure.



I used basswood strips to build out the floors, allowing more room for model placement within the building. The larger chunks of masonry have smashed through the wooden planks, exposing the structure below. To represent the remains of the building, I tried to include as much rubble as possible without it just becoming a "pile." (Too many table-top ruins, in my opinion, consist of half a building with no account for what happened to the rest of it.)



The pipes are made from copper tube, and the majority of the rubble is cut up pieces of plastic sprue, mixed with different grades of ballast.



The stairs are made by Plastruct, and I distressed them a bit to give them a worn and damaged appearance.



One of the things I learned from 9/11 was that when buildings collapse, everything turns grey, covered in concrete dust and ash. That's a bit boring for gaming terrain, but I still try to keep my color palette limited to greys and browns with a bit of green on the sandbags and pipes. The mostly monochromatic background also helps focus one's attention to the miniatures on the tabletop.


To accompany the ruins, I made some barricades and tank traps. The rubble piles came with the GW building. I merely mounted them on a base and added more sprue rubble. The Tank Traps came from a Tamiya plastic kit, with Forge World brass-etched barbed wire wrapped around them. There's a piece of Hirst Arts masonry in there, as well.




Over the weekend, I was able to get in a proper game of Warhammer using the new Vampire Counts rules set. I took a ton of pictures to put together a battle report, and I'll share my experiences with the new rules.



'Til next time!

1 comment:

  1. Great stuff! I feel a bit humbled, since I'm definitely guilty of the problem of "forgetting" half of the building that you describe ;-)

    Anyway, very nice set of terrain you've got there!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated. Any comments containing links will not be approved and will be marked as spam.