This week I turned my attention back to my Space Marines:
I began priming my Primaris marines, but ran out of my yellow spray and, wouldn't you know it, that was the one Tamiya color the shop was out of the last time I went in. Between that and the nearly constant freezing wind, I've decided to hold off on painting the Imperial Fists until warmer (or at least temperate) weather comes around.
In the mean time, I've been working on a few other projects like my Primaris dreadnought conversion. When I last posted about him, I had assembled most of the body and legs:
Now it was time to bite the bullet and start cutting. To make it resemble a classic dreadnought, I needed to modify the top armor and the "stomach" area below the sarcophagus. Most of the detail is already there, I just needed to remove the outer armor.
I trimmed away the top cover, leaving the round mounting point for the rocket pod.
From the cut away armor, I made two flat plates to fit below the mount and cover the exposed frame.
Then, I filled in the gaps with square styrene rod.
On the bottom, I removed the hinge for the sarcophagus cover and trimmed down the frame where the storm bolters are mounted. I used a piece of the cover to extend the bottom, and tidied up the edges with more styrene plastic card.
Next, I'll have to build new shoulder armor and arm coverings. This is something I'll be working on little by little, rather than a weekly project update. I'm also working on new base sizes to expand my Skull Forge Scenics industrial base range. They'll be in my Etsy shop in the coming days.
I've also begun painting Kurdoss. The king himself is done, and I've got the throne and attendants primed with a two-tone spray– black on the front and light grey on the back where the lighter ethereal bits are. I'm saving the flag for last because I'm not sure if I want to change the detail on it. I've considered scraping off the heraldry and replacing it with something themed for my army, but I'm not sure what, since there are no banners or heraldry in any of the other units. We'll see...
I haven't been able to motivate myself to start painting my tombs yet. But I need to get started on them because I've got some potential scenery commissions coming down the pike, and once I start on them, I probably won't have the opportunity to get back to the tombs for a while. There are also the new Soulblight Gravelords on the horizon. It would be nice if I had room to fit them into my queue when they release. I'm looking forward to GW's preview show this weekend!