Last week, I finished off my Grave Guard unit. Converting and painting 40 models is a pretty time consuming task, and if it drags on for too long I start to lose sight of the finish line. When I’m drybrushing the robes of the 17th model and I have 23 more to go just to reach what I would consider the mid-point of the project, it becomes really easy to set it aside and work on something else. My general rule of thumb is that the longer a project remains unfinished, the less likely it becomes that the project will actually get finished.
Just ask this guy:
I started that barricade back in 2001 while involved in a Mordheim campaign. Suffice to say, other projects have taken priority and it has been this way for about 10 years.
For me, the trick is to simply power through the large project and force myself to not work on anything else until it’s finished. I try to alternate blocks of infantry with smaller, but no less challenging, projects like character models, monsters, or vehicles. I view those as a reward for the infantry grind.
I have a few conversion projects that I’ve been planning for a while. So here’s a look at what is to come:
Khador Modeling & Painting
First off, I’ve added a bunch of images to the Khador gallery. Now I’m working on a tutorial covering my painting process and basing scheme.
I had mentioned the new GW plastic Wight King in a previous post. Now that I’ve picked up a second king, it’s time to equip them both with double-handed axes and create two distinct models from the same static kit.
The Blood of Martyrs & Thyra