Thursday, March 4, 2021

Big, Boxy Dreadnought Arms

I like my dreadnoughts to be big, hulking blocks of metal. To that end, I've been converting the Primaris dreadnought into Mark V-style armor. In the previous post, I had rebuilt the shoulder armor. Now it was time to frame out the arms.


The first step was to build the shape of the arm. I cut a piece of thick styrene card and cut out a circle to fit around the shoulder mount. The circle is a little rough, but since it won't be visible, that's not an issue.



Next, I glued bits of square rod flush with the edge so there would be more surface area to attach the sides. 



To build the sides of the arm, I began with the back, making the depth of the box deep enough to cover the arm attachment.



I built the front side from two pieces of card to create the angle, and cut out the bottom to match the Mark V design.



When it came to the side cover, I couldn't get it to sit flat, so I needed to shave down the ridges on the arm socket.



Because the power fist arm and weapon arm are structurally the same on a Primaris dreadnought, I built the left and right arm boxes the same way.



I closed up the tops with more styrene card. The overall shape works pretty well for my purposes, and matches up with the older dreadnought.



I still need to sand the surfaces and corners, and then add details like panel lines and rivets, but he's coming along nicely so far.



'Til next time!


All comments are moderated. Any comments containing links will not be approved and will be marked as spam.