WWW.SKULLFORGESCENICS.ETSY.COM

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Black Templars, Heavy Hitters

I've been busy with terrain table commissions for the past few months, so I've been neglecting my blog. There hasn't been any time to work on personal projects– My Morghasts and Hexwraiths haven't been languishing on my work station.


All the rumors of a new 40K edition have gotten me thinking about my Black Templars. Maybe I'll be able to pull them out of retirement. At any rate, since I don't have anything new to show you, I decided to update the gallery with some of the models that are lacking detail photos.

 

 

I guess I technically did make some progress on these– the Land Raider was missing a name on its banner, so I needed to letter it in before photography. My Black Templar tanks are named after angels, and "Zachariel" is the angel who leads souls to judgement, that's pretty appropriate.

There's not a whole lot of conversion in this model, mainly decoration with crosses, parchment, and seals, pilfered from across the 40K and Warhammer ranges. The doors are from Forge World, and the bolters on the sides are capped with old storm shields.

 





 

"Look, up in the sky! Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's fiery judgement for our heresy!"

 

 

This Forge World dreadnought drop pod houses one of the older models in my collection– Primus Invidicus is one of the classic metal dreadnoughts. He's decorated with purity seals made from plastic card and modeling putty. The banner is from the old Blood Angels Honor Guard.

 




 

I'm hoping that vehicles in the new edition of 40K will play like monsters in Age of Sigmar– With a wound (or hull) profile that degrades the effectiveness of weapons and movement as the model takes damage. Maybe this guy can finally participate in a game rather than getting one-shotted in turn two.


There's actually been a lot of news on the 40K and Age of Sigmar fronts– The new edition of 40K, which seems to be shaping up like Age of Sgmar, as I had hoped (and predicted) it would. The new Kharadron Sky Dwarfs, which look phenomenal, even if they are more high-tech than I would like for Age of Sigmar. They certainly are pushing the "high" limits of High Fantasy.


Then we have Shadespire- hex-based arena combat set in the Mortal Realms. Meh? I'm not sure how I feel about the hex-based movement because it will probably only be played on a flat board. Feels more like a boad game than a "proper" miniatures game, but I'll reserve judgement until I see it in action. Gorechosen is a fun little game, and that's hex-based. Blood Bowl uses a printed board and square movement. The consensus is that Shadespire might be Mordheim for Age of Sigmar, but I think it will shape up like a cross between Gorechosen, Silver Tower, and Blood Bowl without the ball.


On the 40K front, there's Shadow War: Armageddon, which from all accounts looks like it's going to use the Necromunda rules with 40K Kill Team "gangs." If it plays like Necromunda, with the rules and team advancements, and equipment, that would be great. I can forego the old hive gangs as long as the experience is similar. Using 40K armies gives everyone the opportunity to use something from their army, or to scratch the itch of painting a squad from an army they wouldn't normally collect. I'm looking forward to digging into my parts box to convert a specialized unit for the game.


'Til next time!

6 comments:

  1. I am interested in Shadespire, although as you say I am expecting more of a 'board game with miniatures' experience rather than a war game. Hopefully GW will also take the opportunity to release some interesting warbands, and maybe revisit some of the older ranges.

    The terrain in Shadow War looks outstanding - what are your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, if Shadespire gives us even one new undead model, I'll consider it a win. The Shadow War terrain looks really nice. A little samey-same (all pipes, boilers, and walkways with metal "teeth" cover railings, but they are doing some nice things with it. I saw a photo from White Dwarf of a giant 4-foot tall board over water (sort of like an oil rig) that looked great. Good to see them getting back to custom built tables that, even though they're using existing plastic kits, they're not just "Cities of Death" buildings on a Realm of Battle board.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shadow War even looks compatible with the original rules, which would be nice. I could bring my elderly Delaque out of retirement, watch them get drubbed by the Deathwatch.

    On another note, I totally misread the article's title and thought it was called Black Templars: Heavy Hitlers. Could be a new Chapter in the Astartes there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The new Blood Bowl has the FAQ (I almost called it DLC :D ) that brings back the rules for all of the older teams, so that might be a possibility-- adding in the old gangs back in even though they might not be in the main rule book or have models anymore.

      Delete
  4. Rob, do you still have your Rhino with drivers? I was flipping through my old issues of WD and had a moment of nostalgia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I still have it. If you go to my Black Templars gallery, it's in there, with a link to the post with more photos.

      Delete

All comments are moderated. Any comments containing links will not be approved and will be marked as spam.