WWW.SKULLFORGESCENICS.ETSY.COM

Thursday, February 16, 2017

Hello There!

Here's a little foray into some non-miniatures wargaming modeling. A client recently commissioned me to make a neon sign for his Catwoman statue, based on the sign Selina Kyle had in her apartment in Batman Returns. If you remember, it read "hello there" and she smashed some letters so it read "hell here."


 

I had made some neon signs in the past for the Wild West Exodus buildings, and used a similar technique on this project. Thick gauge floral wire was bent into the shape of the letters and the back of the sign was constructed with styrene plastic pieces.


 

To match the "broken edge" aesthetic of the statue's masonry, I modeled the sign with a bent and damaged edge. I painted the backing of the sign with a source lighting glow using different shades of purple up to a pinkish-white glow at the center.


 

Here's the sign with the back glow underway and the letters sprayed white.


 

The back was painted to resemble rusting metal.


 

The finished sign side-by-side with the reference photo. The unlit letters were painted darker, with a bit of illumination on the connecting tubes.


 

 

And here it is in its new home, attached to the statue.  That's quite a welcome sign!


 

'Til next time!

6 comments:

  1. Very nice technique and it turned out wonderful. When I saw the first photo, I was very interested in what you had used for such a small lighted sign for the lights! I would have put money on it was really lit up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice, I love this effect for the neon sign.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Genius! The effect fooled me right away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I build signs like this for a living. Damn, Rob. What attention to detail. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a very cool effect. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated. Any comments containing links will not be approved and will be marked as spam.