WWW.SKULLFORGESCENICS.ETSY.COM

Thursday, May 19, 2016

Skulls and Graveyard Walls

A couple new items are coming up for Skull Forge Scenics. The first is a pack of skulls. Here are the master casts set up for molding and I'll have these up for sale soon.

 

Edit:  The skulls are up for sale now in my store:  

https://www.etsy.com/shop/skullforgescenics


 

The wall set I had been sculpting was taken back to square one. These earlier pieces (the ones I posted pictures of a couple weeks ago) weren't working for me. Since they were sculpted from a relatively flat section of putty over the MDF core, the stonework wasn't giving me the difference in depth and angle in the stones that I was hoping for, and the placement of the stones didn't match on the reverse side.


 

These new walls were made by placing and sculpting individual blocks of putty, and I'm much more satisfied with the result.


 

The stones are sculpted from Aves Apoxie® Sculpt, and any deep gaps between them are filled with Brown Stuff modeling putty.


 

Here are the two side-by-side:


 

The wall posts use the "skull shrines" I previewed on Facebook.


 

One of my pet peeves when it comes to wargaming terrain is wall sections that don't properly line up or "join" at the corners, or that don't have proper "ends." I've designed these so the inset skull shrines are recessed enough that the walls will insert into them and link the segments together or form corner posts. The wall posts can also be used as stand-alone elements for the bases of a statues or monuments.

 

 

I'm working on the tops now. I've kept them as a separate part for ease of molding. Any significant "lip" would be difficult to pull out of the mold, or might have bubbles, ruining the whole wall. I can also make different wall toppers (flat stones; spiked fencing, etc.) to provide more variety in the future.


'Til next time!

7 comments:

  1. It was definitely worth re-making the walls. The new versions are much nicer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks very good:) I think I will stole some of Your ideas for my handcrafted walls' connectors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! Will the walls be available without all the graveyard stuff? I find them incredibly nice and very useful for all kinds of games as simple walls! Would much appreciate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan to sell the walls and posts as a set, and offer the posts and walls by themselves so people can buy more or less of each as they want. Then some different toppers to go with them.

      If by "graveyard stuff" you mean without the skulls, I've been considering a decorative "plug" that might cover them, or possibly casting different "de-skulled" versions. (Those might be further down the line, though.)

      Delete
  4. The walls look great. Appreciate your thinking about how the sections connect and the adaptability of the pieces through separate tops and plugs.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated. Any comments containing links will not be approved and will be marked as spam.